Tru-Fog System for Fresh Produce Displays
The relative humidity (RH) in a supermarket or large retail environment is often very low, both in the winter when heated and in the summer when air conditioned.
In these dry conditions, fresh produce will quickly loose both freshness and visual appeal as its natural moisture is lost into the surrounding atmosphere.
This can be overcome by installing a Tru-fog system, which will boost relative humidity around the product, maintain the natural moisture level within and even re-hydrate some produce.
How does it work?
Super pure, filtered water is nebulised using high frequency, ultrasonic waves. This creates a dry fog of tiny water droplets, each less than 5 microns in size. Traditional misting systems have droplets of 15-20 microns. The ‘almost lighter than air’ fog spreads over the produce like a blanket, forming a cool, moist layer above and around the product without wetting.
The relative humidity around the display is raised to around 95% and as the water droplets quickly evaporate, the ambient temperature of the air will be reduced. This adiabatic effect is often called ‘evaporative cooling’. The fresh produce will no longer loose its own moisture into the ambient air and is additionally cooled, without getting wet.
Hygiene is crucial to ensure that any cold water humidification system operates efficiently and safely. To guarantee maximum quality, water for our system is both filtered and treated using a range of technologies, including:-
Reverse Osmosis Filtration – to remove bacteria, viruses, calcium and other scaling minerals which are often present in city water.
Ozone Generation – to destroy bacteria that may have entered the system through the air. Ozone is a very strong oxidizer which converts back to normal oxygen in a short time, without leaving a residue.
Ultra Violet Light Treatment – to destroy microorganisms and pathogens in the water. UV sterilisation leaves no residual chemical or radiation in the water.
Automatic Self Cleaning – The system is flushed and self cleaned with super pure water every 60 minutes.
Specialist Maintenance – Our regular service and maintenance programme will guarantee a problem free and hygienic operation.
What are the benefits of ultrasonic humidification for you?
- The quality of your produce is maintained.
- Weight loss is minimised, maximising sale potential of products sold by weight.
- Overall wastage is reduced as produce stays fresher for longer.
- The fresh produce display is visually improved and the visual impact of the
- system draws attention, generating higher sales turnover of fruit and vegetables.
- Higher turnover of other products, as your customers return more regularly to buy your higher quality fresh produce.
- Reduced labour costs, with less need to replace product or transport fresh produce to the cold store during the night.
- Bold displays can be maintained throughout the day, especially in the late afternoon and evening when most stores are running down their display.
- Energy saving potential for your cooling equipment.
- Greater control over stock management and purchasing.
What are the benefits for your customer?
- Your customers will notice that higher quality produce will stay fresher for longer at home.
- Lower prices because of less waste and labour
- Less waste at home. More gets eaten.
There are Environment Benefits too:
- Less to throw away,
- Less waste
- Reduced transport costs = CO2 Energy savings and a contribution to global food security.